A Glimpse of UVARC History

    According to newspaper articles, the  "Umpqua Radio Club" was in existence sometime in the latter part of the 1950's. The exact date is not known at this time. Some of the members of the radio club have had an Amateur Radio License as early as 1930 and 1932, but some of those are now Silent Keys. It is probably true that there were Amateur Radio activities in the Roseburg area prior to the 1950's, but whether a club was in existence is unknown at this writing.

    One newspaper article states:   "In 1955, there was no closely knit "Ham" organization in the Douglas County. In that month, the need was pointed out tragically, for on the day after Christmas, the county suffered its second flood in four days."  Later, a nucleus of about fifteen "Hams" began planning an organization, and soon the Umpqua Radio Club had replaced the less organized club.

    The radio club was then affiliated with the Douglas County Civil Defense organization at the time, retaining its identity as a hobbyist group. With the help of 43 businesses and individuals that donated materials and labor, a building was constructed next to the Ground Observation Corp. on the China Wall to hold communication equipment of the Civil Defense. The Amateur Radio group was left in charge of the building and radio equipment.

    During some of those years, Bob Ellenwood and Ivar Lindstrom served as club presidents. In 1977, the club was in an inactive period so Jim Zurcher placed an ad in the News Review for a  "No Host" coffee at the Windmill Inn and the response from local Hams was great, resulting in the present Umpqua Valley Amateur Radio Club that we have today.
UVARC Upcoming Events
Dec
20

12.20.2017 7:00 pm - 7:30 pm

Dec
20

12.20.2017 7:30 pm - 8:00 pm

Dec
25

12.25.2017 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm

Dec
25

12.25.2017 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm

Dec
27

12.27.2017 7:00 pm - 7:30 pm

Dec
27

12.27.2017 7:30 pm - 8:00 pm

top